Three Solo Shows Competition at the Watchung Arts Center, 2018
The Watchung Arts Center, located at 18 Stirling Rd, Watchung, NJ 07069, announces the opening of the 2018 Solo Exhibits Competition. Three winners of this competition will each receive a one month solo exhibition in the first floor gallery space at the Center.
The details are as follows:
- There are three spots available: March, May and June, all in 2018. Each of these three solo shows will be in the downstairs gallery and will be held in conjunction with a group exhibit being held in the upstairs gallery, providing a large audience for each opening.
- The jury will be comprised of members of the New Art Group, each of whom is a well-respected New Jersey based artist with a long list of exhibitions and credits to their names. They include:
- The winners will be chosen based on
- a commitment to quality in the final work
- how the work illustrates the artists’ authenticity
- an awareness of the history of visual art
- There is a $30 entry fee ($2.23 service fee added at checkout) and allows each artist to submit up to 5 jpegs of their work. We highly recommend no less than 3 images be provided in order for the judges to have a clear view of the work you’re doing.
- All types of work are accepted – painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, installation, video, etc.
- Please be sure all jpegs are at least 1000 px or more on the largest side. Less than that does not provide a good quality view of the work.
- All artists may submit, even those who have previously shown at the Watchung Arts Center. This is an opportunity for those of you who have previously shown there to exhibit new or more experimental work in a personal space.
- The Watchung Arts Center takes a 30% commission on all sales.
- It is highly recommended that you submit online at newartgroup.com . However, you can email your resume and a statement about your work, along with three to five jpegs, to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must mail a check for $30, made out to “the Watchung Arts Center”, to Watchung Arts Center, 18 Stirling Road, Watchung, NJ 07069. YOU MUST ADD “SOLO SHOW COMPETITION” in the notes field of the check.
- The deadline for submission is Saturday, December 30, 2017 at midnight.
- No images or slides will be accepted via mail. You resume, statement and work but be sent either using the online tool or via email (see prior bullet point).
- A member of the New Art Group will be with winners at the time of hanging for each show, to help facilitate getting the work up.
- All three exhibits coincide with a larger group show in the upstairs gallery. Artists are encouraged to bring items for their reception, such as beverages and snacks, which usually takes place on a Sunday afternoon. Reception hors d’oeuvres and drinks for the upstairs exhibits will be provided by them.
- Space layout below – click on image to enlarge
IMPORTANT – PLEASE BE ADVISED – any installation or other work that involved the walls or floor cannot include damage to or destruction of the facility structure in any way. If the work requires serious implications to the walls, the artist must agree to repairing the walls to the gallery’s satisfaction at the end of the show. Also, no food or other perishable items will be accepted as part of any exhibit. There is a hanging system (the Walker rod system) already installed for medium and large wall works. Small works and/or paper based items can be hung with push pins.
The Watchung Arts Center endeavors to exhibit exploratory artwork that challenges the viewers and encourages artists to submit that work. Nonetheless, it reserves the right to reject any work it deems inappropriate, especially where it might concern sexual content and/or nudity of a particularly sexual nature. Keep this in mind when submitting your work.